Since J works in the office on a daily basis and we only have one vehicle, I get to go with him. My language training is on the same site as his office so that makes it very convenient for us. However, my class is from 10-12am each morning. So, what do I do the rest of the day you might ask? I try to spend most of my days studying and practicing the language with some of the local staff members. We have several local staff that work in the office and each of them are extremely wonderful. They are all eager to help me study with them as long as I will in turn help them with English. I met Nit Noi (means little bit) on the first day in the office. She has been a joy to visit with on a daily basis. Most of our times talking are spent just on the cultural differences of our two homes, but she does help me with my homework and tone pronunciation.
Yesterday, I shared some American fruit snacks with her and explained they were a staple in my diet. Nervously, she took a bite and found out she liked them. She did comment that they were a little sweeter than they typically like. The locals here don't really like sweet foods and desserts like we do! Nit Noi immediately insisted that she get me some local fruit snacks that she liked. First thing this morning, Nit Noi greeted me with a bag of Jolly Bears from 7 Eleven. They tasted almost like the American fruit snacks, but not quite. She was so excited to share them with me and see me eat them. I could tell that sharing my culture (fruit snacks) with her meant a lot to her and that she was happy to be able to share another part of her life with me. Simple and silly, I know, but you would be amazed at how the small things open up such big doors.
I hope that we can continue our daily visits and building our friendship. Through our conversations, we discovered we are the same age and have a lot of the same interests. In their culture, it is very important to build trust and repor before they will fully open up their life to you. They need to see evidence that you truly want to be their friend and are not just another foreigner learning their language. They also watch how you live your life very carefully. It is our actions and words that they question and notice a difference in. What a powerful reminder for my daily walk! Nit Noi is very anxious for J and I to meet her husband and little boy. We hope we can do that very soon. I also am wanting to study the Word together someday, but up to this point she isn't too interested. For now, we will keep sharing things like Jolly Bears and see where that takes us. It is funny how simple things like sharing fruit snacks can open up many new conversations and discoveries. I am so thankful for Jolly Bears!
1 comment:
This is a really sweet story. I love it!! You guys are doing so great already. Let me know if you ever need anything!!!
Post a Comment