Well, J and I decided to try out cooking! Last week, a lady from the company-who happens to be our next door neighbor, took us grocery shopping for a few things. We bought just what we needed to make dinner. Before we left MO, I was given the advice to bring our first couple of meals so we chose a Chicken Alfredo boxed meal thinking it would be the easiest things to find the ingredients for.
I finally made it. I washed all the dishes first, then plugged in our "stove" aka hot plate and went to town! While it was cooking, J cut up the bread, buttered it, and put it in the toaster oven. After adjusting to cooking on this type of stove and in a toaster oven, I think we quickly got the hang of it and realized what cooking would be like here. Just a little culture shock there. We aren't allowed to have gas appliances in the apartment complex, so that creates challenges. We have also learned that most locals here don't cook because it is cheaper to buy all their meals from a street vendor. J plans on eating from vendors every day for lunch since it is easier and cheaper for us too!
Our meal turned out great! The only problem was that I forgot to use our filtered water and got water right from the faucet to use in the alfredo mix. So far we haven't gotten sick! I forgot for just a second that we didn't live in America and did what was habit! OOPS! I guess we may have to learn some things the hard way!
1 comment:
It looks delicious!! I've been having so much fun reading and learning about your new adventures! Miss you two!
Post a Comment